Life bird concerts at Rubondo Island
Rubondo is wild, raw, pristine and therefore exciting.
“Two Landcruisers pick us up around 7.00 pm. It is already dark. The headlights illuminate the bush we can see in front of us. The driver next to me looks like a strong bushman from ancient times. He starts the jeep and soon he shows all the skills necessary for a wild ride through the bush that will last for half an hour. I enjoy every minute, my heart jumps in my chest when I see huge, ancient trees with dozens of ropes coming towards us when we speed up. Oh my God! I hear our clients laugh when a big tree blocks the small road. But before hitting it, there is a small road to the right. What a driver. Everybody is thrilled and when we arrive at our destination we all unanimous feel that this was the best ride of our lives”.
Located in the southwest corner of Lake Victoria, Rubondo offers a different kind of adventure then the safari circuit. Your trip starts with a wonderful boat tour (two hours). The captain will show you many wonderful birds on the islands you are passing. In the water, you can spot hippos or crocodiles. Sometimes they are lying motionless at the shore. When you arrive you will be taken to a bush camp at the lake. After 5 o’clock hippos will enter this ground, while you are sitting safely behind a big fire to watch them. The next day you can have a nice guided walk over the Island.
What to do at Rubondo Island?
- Game drive, partly in the night (spotting many birds, hippos, crocodiles, monkeys and a great variety of butterflies).
- a walking excursion to the beautiful wetlands. When you arrive many crocodiles will hurry to get in the water and watch you from there.
- A two hour boat tour to spot birdlife, hippos and crocodiles from the waterside
- historical places like Ntugamirwe or Altare.
- relax and sit around the fire in the evening
- entree park fee
- walking fee
- camping fee (it is also possible to rent a simple but nice banda at the lake)
- boat tour
- all excursions we program with you
- transport to Rubondo and back to Mwanza
- a cook
- all food & drinks (tea, coffee, juice and water)
- full camping equipment
Contact us for a tailormade safari to Rubondo and the quote.