Belangrijk is een zorgverzekering met adequate buitenlanddekking.
Make sure you have a health insurance with ample coverage abroad.
We advise you to get the most up to date information about vaccinations at:
- KLM Travel Clinic, Schiphol : 0900 1091096 or www.travelclinic.nl
- Your country vaccination line for travellers)
- Tropical Centre of your own country
- You can also look on the internet for vaccination programs.
Treatment of Malaria has been strongly improved the past few years. But Malaria profylaxe is medication which is advised to take anyway. You can order it at your GP’s. Many travelers prefer ‘Malarone’ to “Lariam’ or the combination of ‘ Nivaquine’ and ‘ Paludrine’ , because ‘ Malarone’ doesn’s have many side-effects. Malaria profylaxe doesn’t offer complete protection however. It is still sensible to cover arms and legs and use an anti-insect spray for your uncovered hands and face, like ‘ Deet 50’.
Near Lake Victoria at most places can’t be swum because of the presence of Bilharzia.
- Because of the bright afternoon sun it is advisable to bring suncream with a high protection factor( 30) and also after sun. Try to find a natural suncream because there is a connection between skincancer and these products.
- Hygiene in East Africa is pretty good, but for drinking water you should use cooked or bottled water only and also use this for cleaning your teeth.
- Bring good walking shoes, bandages for blisters and a pair of comfortable slippers.